Online tools
Get a quote

soumission2QUICKLY get an online quote!

Contact us

contactHeadquarters: 450.530.3323
Montreal : 514 335-0331
Toll free : 1 888 530-3323
Fax : 450.530.3373

Are there different highway transport permits?

Are there different highway transport permits?

In Quebec, there are 13 driver’s licence classes that each correspond to a specific category of road vehicle. This article focuses on highway transporters that drive heavy vehicles whose job is to deliver shipments of goods. Truck driving, in certain circumstances, requires a specific permit and special training.

Find out everything you need to know about the different highway transport permits in Quebec.

Permits required for trucks

Class 3 licence

In order to drive a truck and transport goods across Quebec, you must obtain a Class 3 licence. Three conditions are required to qualify:

1) Have less than 4 demerit points on your driving record.

2) Acquire 2 years of experience as a probationary licence or class 5 driver’s licence holder (for cars only).

3) No driver’s license suspended or revoked in the last two years.

Two special designations can be added to your licence. An F indication that proves that you can drive a heavy vehicle equipped with a pneumatic braking system and an M indication which certifies that you can drive a heavy vehicle equipped with a manual transmission.

Permit for the transportation of dangerous goods

Goods transported on public roads are sometimes considered hazardous materials. Every day, numerous trucks carry petroleum, flammable, corrosive, toxic or explosive goods.

In these circumstances, a simple truck driver’s licence is not enough. To carry out this type of transportation, the driver must have obtained a training certificate authorizing him to transport hazardous materials.

Special permits for excess loads and dimensions

Many bulky goods are transported by road. Due to their large size and unconventional weight, this isn’t considered ordinary transportation and the regulations change.

In order to circulate on the road network while driving a vehicle that is considered oversized, it is required to hold a special driving permit issued for this purpose.

IRP and IFTA permits for the United States

If you are transporting goods outside the province of Quebec, you must obtain the International Registration Plan (IRP) permit. With this registration, you will be able to circulate in the other Canadian provinces as well as in the United States. It is the responsibility of the Société de l’Assurance Automobile du Québec (SAAQ) to give you this registration once you have made the request.

Another one you can join: the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA). If you drive a heavy vehicle and regularly cross interprovincial and international borders, this agreement can be worthwhile to avoid filing fuel tax returns in every province or country you visit. You must obtain a licence related to this agreement in order to qualify.

Become a professional truck driver

In the light of this information, you no doubt better understand the various procedures to be undertaken and the permits you need to possess to be a highway transporter in Quebec.

At Transport Econonord, we are proud to offer our drivers working conditions that promote their well-being and that of their loved ones. Do not hesitate to contact us to discover our career availabilities and our various services.