Online tools
Get a quote

soumission2QUICKLY get an online quote!

Contact us

contactHeadquarters: 450.530.3323
Montreal : 514 335-0331
Toll free : 1 888 530-3323
Fax : 450.530.3373

Where can transport companies get an explosives permit in Quebec?


Where can transport companies get an explosives permit in Quebec?

For obvious reasons, handling and transporting explosive materials involves certain risks. Moreover, in recent years, the explosives industry has been shaken by a few incidents that could have had a significant impact on public safety. This type of incident has led the Quebec authorities to be even stricter in terms of legislation, particularly with regard to the transportation of explosives.

For this reason, carriers that offer an explosives transportation service must hold a special permit that demonstrates their ability to safely handle these highly hazardous materials. But where should Quebec transportation companies wishing to transport explosives turn to obtain their explosives permit?

Explosives legislation in Quebec

The transportation of explosives in Quebec is subject to the Explosives Act and its regulations. Carriers must comply regardless of the type of explosives and the quantity transported, knowing that it cannot exceed 20,000 kg. This requires them to hold a general explosives permit for business.

In the past, the general explosives permit was issued in the name of a representative of the company who wanted to offer the service. However, such a practice could encourage a certain laxity in terms of safety on the part of the transport companies. To make carriers more accountable, the Quebec Act respecting explosives now requires that the permit be issued on behalf of the company. The Sûreté du Québec is responsible for granting this permit and enforcing the legislation.

<H2> Certain obligations that explosives carriers must respect

Here are some of the most common requirements that must be met to legally transport all types of explosives:

  • The driver must hold a general explosives permit (the passenger also in certain cases);
  • The vehicle used must be provided with an explosives permit issued by an explosives inspector from the Sûreté du Québec;
  • The driver must have a transport voucher in his possession indicating all relevant information regarding the shipper, the recipient and the type of explosive substance transported;

How to obtain a general explosives permit as a company

Here is the procedure that must be followed by companies wishing to have permission to handle, store or transport explosives:

  1. Fill in the Application for General Explosives Permit – Business form, available online on the SQ website;
  2. Complete the Identification and security clearance outside Québec form pertaining to an application for a general explosives permit for each of the executives and shareholders listed on Annex 1 of the Application for a General Explosives Permit – Business form;
  3. Attach a copy of the company applying for the permit’s certificate of incorporation, as well as the payment of the required fees, and send it to the Sûreté du Québec’s Office for the Control of Firearms and Explosives.


If everything is in order, the permit will be issued in 3 to 4 weeks, depending on the application’s processing time. The permit will be valid for a maximum period of 5 years.

Choose a company that is legally authorized to carry explosives

To avoid putting the safety of the population at risk, especially road users, always deal with a carrier that is legally authorized to carry explosives when you have to ship explosive materials.

In that regard, don’t hesitate to ask your transport company to prove beyond a doubt that it does in fact hold a general explosives permit issued by the Sûreté du Québec.

Regardless of the type of explosive material you want to ship, rest assured that the Transport Econo Nord team has all the skills, equipment and permits required for your explosives to arrive at their destination as safely as possible. Do not hesitate to contact us to find out more about our rates.